For many small business owners, marketing can be a major source of stress. Throw in a bunch of confusing jargon, constantly changing technology, and lots of conflicting opinions, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster. Not to mention it can be difficult to figure out whether it’s even working. Fortunately, there’s a clear path to simple and effective marketing. In this blog post you’ll get a high level overview of digital marketing as well as several resources that will help you execute a winning strategy without wasting valuable time and money.
Digital Marketing Basics
I put together these slides a few months ago and have been presenting them for community organizations like the Sierra Small Business Development Center and the Tahoe City Downtown Merchants Association. The idea was to breakdown the complex and often intimidating subject of Internet marketing into bite-sized chunks so that attendees walk away inspired to embrace marketing technology. The following slides cover the digital marketing basics that small business owners need to know in order to remain competitive in 2017.
Below are links to many of the tools and resources mentioned in the presentation. These really only represent the tip of the iceberg, but it’s a great place to start if you’re just getting started.
- Google Mobile Friendly Test – Quick way to check whether Google thinks your website is mobile-friendly.
- Google Page Speed Insights – Check your page speed scores and learn how to improve them.
- Google My Business – Sign in, claim your business listing, and verify your business info on the world’s #1 source for information.
- Moz Local – Check the accuracy and completeness of your business listings across the Internet.
- SurveyMonkey – Free online survey and questionnaire tool. Perfect for learning more about your customers.
- Hootsuite – Free tool for monitoring and managing all of your social media accounts in one place.
- Buffer – Another awesome tool to streamline your social media. An alternative to Hootsuite.
- MailChimp – Free and easy way to fire up an email marketing program.
- 7-Part Formula for Writing Great Content – Awesome infographic that breaks down exactly how to write a winning blog post.
- Road Map to a Successful Website – Objective tool to help you choose the ideal platform for building your website.
- Social Media Examiner – Great beginner resource, loaded with tips, tricks, and the latest trends in social media marketing. They have a great podcast too!
- Yoast SEO Blog – One of the best, most reliable resources for basic SEO education. The Moz Blog is another excellent resource.
- Getting Started with Google Analytics – An overview of steps needed to implement Google Analytics tracking on your website.
- Free Digital Marketing Tools – A blog post I wrote summarizing 19 of my favorite tools for digital marketing tasks like market research, graphic design, and website optimization.
Now that you have a better understanding of digital marketing, it’s time to start implementing it in your own business. Still have questions? Leave a comment below or give us a shout. We love helping businesses leverage technology to accomplish their goals!
Share this Post